Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Problem: Creepy "Book" Situation

THE ZONE OF UNEASE, Sept. 6 - Two weeks ago I learned that a book had apparently been written about me. Turns out it’s more of a “book”. The team of Henssonow, Surhone, and Tennoe have also penned such classics as “United States Courthouse and Post Office (Kansas City, Missouri)”, “Raqibul Hasan (cricketer, Born 1987)” and “Alice in Chains (German Edition)”. According to Amazon, there are 118,168 "books" in the series.

My best guess is that this is somehow related to an Amazon phenomenon known as “private label rights”. Maybe that concept has been taken over by spambots. The increasing sophistication of marketing robots makes weird items like this an inevitability. Although it could be something else entirely. My first reaction at seeing this was that I was somehow in trouble, and I guess I shouldn’t rule out that option either.

FYI, I have a birthday coming up in 7 months, if anyone wants to buy me one. Used copies start at a -1% discount!

Also, I have another column up, this one about the crushing crushingness of Kansas’s “Dust In The Wind”. It’s decent.