Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Better Business Bureau Letter (1986)

FROM THE ARCHIVES / OOPS DEPT. May 6 - 23 years ago, I narced on a independent record label over a 7 Seconds EP and a "Nuke Your Dink" 7" compilation. It was not one of my finest moments. In my defense, $6 was a lot of cash in 1986. And I was young and impatient. I didn't understand that record pressing problems can indeed occur at one's pressing plant in Los Angeles. The records eventually arrived.


The summer after this unfortunate exchange, I booked a 7 Seconds show at the Albany Hibernians Hall and - surprise! - the band never showed. Later that month, leaving for college, I stuffed all my worldly possessions into a rental van and made my goodbyes in front of my mom's house. Somehow the compilation 7" floated to the back of one of the piles and got smooshed up next to the window. After my mom hugged me farewell, she looked up and said, 'Nuke Your Dink'?? and the thought occurred to me that perhaps those weren't the best three words with which to start one's new life as an adult.